Historical Articles in Emergency Medicine Pharmacy
Within our respective specialties, we often set our sights to new beginnings and adventures. With the passage of the resolution 44 by the American College of Emergency Physicians this past October and a recent post written by Bryan Hayes (@PharmERToxGuy) on Academic Life in Emergency Medicine describing in detail the training of EM pharmacists, I have been contemplating the general progression of the initiation and establishment of emergency medicine pharmacy, with ideas mainly surrounding the theme of “Where did we come from?”
These articles are must-reads for anyone who practices or is interested in emergency medicine pharmacy, as they do indeed provide a multitude of answers to the aforementioned question related to our origins. The full citations of these historical articles are provided below:
- Edwards GA, Samuels TM. The role of the hospital pharmacist in emergency situations. Am J Hosp Pharm 1968; 25(3):128-133.
- Rapp RP, Piecoro JJ, Swintosky JV. The value of emergency care situations in the clinical pharmacy education of a pharmacist. Drug Intell Clin Pharm 1974; 8(6):392-396.
- Elenbaas RM, Waeckerle JF, McNabney WK. The clinical pharmacist in emergency medicine. Am J Hosp Pharm 1977; 34(8):843-846.
- Roberts RW, Russell WL. A pharmacist-based toxicology service. Drug Intell Clin Pharm 1978; 12(11):665-670.
- Majerus TC. Shock-trauma: Clinical pharmacy in emergency medicine. Top Hosp Pharm Manage 1982; 2(1):87-93.
- Kasuya A, Bauman JL, Curtis RA, Duarte B, Hutchinson RA. Clinical pharmacy on-call program in the emergency department. Am J Emerg Med 1986; 4(5):464-467.
Some bonus interesting articles that I came across in my search include:
- Baars R, Amerson AB, Rapp RP. Rapid calculations for emergency practice–a self instructional learning package for students and practitioners of nursing, medicine and pharmacy. Drug Intell Clin Pharm 1977;11(10):610-613.
- Pelter M, McGhan W. Drug emergencies and the pharmacist. Lancet 1980;1(8177):1086.
As important as it is determine new directions for the specialty of emergency medicine pharmacy, it is also essential to become cognizant of the paths that have been built that will lead us there.